Herby? Garlicky? Yup, ticks all the boxes… yum yum yum! Hooray for mayonnaise!
Fresh from the garden: lemon, eggs, basil, garlic
Recipe source: Melissa
Makes: about 300ml
What to do:
- Pick the basil leaves, wash them well, spin them dry and finely chop.
- Cut the lemon in half and juice the halves. You will need 50ml lemon juice in total.
- Smash the garlic cloves, peel them and squeeze them through the garlic press.
- Separate two of the eggs and reserve the 2 yolks in a small bowl.
- Into the stick blender cup add the whole egg, the egg yolks, the mustard and only 20ml lemon juice. Whizz together until all is combined.
- Measure the rice bran oil, then get a friend to help super-slowly stream in the oil into the egg mixture while you are whizzing (this takes a few minutes so don’t rush it).
- To make this mayo into an aioli, slowly add in the remaining 30ml lemon juice, the pressed garlic, the chopped basil and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
Notes: What is aioli? Why is it different to mayonnaise? What else could you serve it with? What could you make with the leftover egg whites?