We all had such a fab time in this first kitchen garden school holiday program! The children were so keen, so well-behaved, and SO helpful!
SCHOOL HOLIDAY PROGRAM MENU
Introduction – Knife Licences – Chook care
Pumpkin, spinach & feta frittate – Rhubarb & mint muffins – Lemongrass tisane
Garden walk – Harvesting
Linguine with cavolo nero and herb sauce – Pizza with rocket, bocconcini and garden herbs – Our winter salad
Seeds – Composting – Sustainability
Watch & Grow Project
And these are some of the things they did during the day-long program:
- Earned their knife licences by displaying ‘bear paw’ & ‘spider crab’ hand positions and understanding how to behave around knives, and also how to carry, hold and clean them;
- Followed recipes from beginning to end and understood all the procedures;
- Made pizza and pasta dough from scratch;
- Tended to the chooks;
- Explored their five senses with the garden walk-around and herb identification;
- Pounded the mortar & pestle, whizzed the stand mixer, sliced the mezzaluna, wheeled the pizza cutter;
- Sautéed, boiled, fried, baked, stirred, tossed, spooned, grated, melted, brushed, rolled, proved, weighed, measured, chopped, sliced, diced, beat, whisked, juiced, folded, and more;
- Cleared as they went, washed up, dried up, set the cutlery, the glasses, the water jugs… and ate! And then cleared the tables and swept up;
- Reinforced the belief to live sustainable lives: that is to try and remember to re-use, recycle or renew when possible;
- Learnt about compost ‘lasagne’;
- Understood the importance of seasonal and local produce;
- And worked fabulously as a team, displaying focus and willingness to help!
We hope to see all the children again,and to welcome heaps more in the next holidays… and look out for all the recipes in the next few posts!