And here we are at the last day of term! What a lovely start to the year… some great cooking, fabulous volunteers & creative and delicious children! Thank you to everybody 🙂
This week has seen us celebrate our season with fabulous fat eggs from our five chooks – they are truly settling into their strides with huge beautiful offerings every day: over 50g each, just like in the shops! So in honour, we’re creating a Poached Egg Salad with Tarragon Sauce, Sean’s Sweetcorn Chowder, our version of Torta Pasqualina, a few handmade chocolate truffles – and the ubiquitous but nevertheless yummy hot cross bun (with a difference!) And here below is the recipe… happy holidays and see you next term! Melissa
APRICOT & CARDAMOM HOT CROSS BUNS – Jeremy & Jane Strode
- 20g dried yeast
- 100g caster sugar plus a pinch
- 100g butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 500g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 200g apricots
- 90g self-raising flour
- 10g skim milk powder
- Butter & jam to serve
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
What to do:
- Mix yeast with 200ml warm water & pinch of sugar in a small bowl and leave in a warm place for 5 minutes to activate.
- Chop the apricots.
- Place butter, salt, cardamom, plain flour and remaining sugar in the mixer and combine.
- Add eggs and activated yeast and beat until smooth.
- Add apricots and when combined, leave in a warm place for 1 to 1½ hours to double in size.
Start of lesson:
- Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Punch dough down to its original size. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 12 even portions. Shape each portion into a ball. Place balls onto lined tray, about 1cm apart. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Mix self-raising flour, milk powder and 100ml water together in a small bowl until smooth. Spoon into a small snap-lock bag. Snip off a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag. Pipe flour paste over tops of buns to form crosses. Bake for 20 minutes until buns are cooked through.
- Make glaze: Place 1/3 cup water and sugar into a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Brush warm glaze over warm hot cross buns. Divide among serving plates & serve warm with butter & jam.