This is a fantastic addition to a weekend brunch or BBQ – try it on fried eggs, sausages, bacon or spread some on a cheese sandwich for a taste sensation…
Fresh from the garden: onions, thyme
Recipe source: Melissa, kitchen specialist at Bondi PS
What to do:
- Peel and chop the onion into thin slices.
- Heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil in the frying pan and when hot, slide in the onion slices and sprinkle on a pinch of salt.
- Wash & shake the thyme sprig dry. Strip off the leaves, discarding the stalks, and sprinkle them onto the onions.
- Gently cook on a medium heat, stirring or tossing occasionally until very soft for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle on a tablespoon each of brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and toss to mix. Continue to cook gently, turning the heat down if needed.
- When the onions have mostly absorbed the mixture, add another tablespoon of each and toss again.
- Keep going in this way until the onions are thick, slippery and dark in colour. This might take up to 30 minutes.
- Taste to check seasoning and tenderness and when ready, spoon into serving bowls.
Notes: What is a condiment? Where does balsamic vinegar come from? What is it made from?