At this time of year we try and incorporate as many blood oranges into recipes as possible! Cakes always go down well as a treat, and this one is dairy-free too if you don’t serve the yoghurt.
From the garden: eggs, blood oranges
Recipe source: adapted from a recipe by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Brush the cake tin with a little vegetable oil and then line with baking paper.
- Using the microplane, carefully zest the blood oranges.
- Juice the oranges and mix the zest with the juice.
- Mix the eggs, honey, raw caster sugar and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and cinnamon into another bowl.
- Using the electric mixer, mix in the flour and orange juice/zest alternately until all combined.
- Pour into the greased & lined tin.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes, checking after the 30 minute mark – use the skewer test to check that it is cooked.
- Meanwhile, if making the vanilla yoghurt: halve the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds from inside each half. Mix these into the yoghurt with the tablespoon of white caster sugar. Chill until ready to serve.
- When the cake is cooked, turn out on wire rack and cool before cutting.
- Divide among serving plates and serve with the vanilla yoghurt if needed.
Notes: Why do we grease and line the tin? What do baking powder and bicarb soda do?