7 to 12 year olds
Good morning chooks!
Rocket linguine with broad beans, marjoram and garlic
Pizza with red onion, bocconcini and garden herbs*
Our spring salad with strawberries and flowers
Seedlings & seeds
Watch & Grow take home project
(the recipes for dishes marked with * have been featured on this site in a previous post, so please click on their links to access them)
The Our Kitchen Garden older students spent the whole day with us, from 9.30am until 3.30pm, and helped in every task. These are just some of the things we did during our day together:
- Earned our knife licences by displaying our ‘bear paw’ & ‘spider crab’ hand positions and understanding how to behave around knives, and also how to carry, hold and clean them;
- Followed recipes from beginning to end and understood all the procedures;
- Made pizza and pasta dough from scratch;
- Tended to the chooks;
- Explored our five senses with the garden walk-around and herb identification;
- Pounded the mortar & pestle, whizzed the stand mixer, sliced the mezzaluna, wheeled the pizza cutter;
- Sautéed, boiled, fried, baked, stirred, tossed, spooned, grated, melted, brushed, rolled, proved, weighed, measured, chopped, sliced, diced, beat, whisked, juiced, folded, and more;
- Cleared as we went, we washed up, we dried up, we set the cutlery, the glasses, the water jugs… and we ate! And then we cleared the tables and swept up;
- Reinforced our belief to live sustainable lives: that is to try and remember to re-use, recycle or renew when possible;
- Learnt about compost ‘lasagne’;
- Understood the importance of seasonal and local produce;
- And worked fabulously as a team, displaying focus and willingness to help!
And we all got the jobs done together & had a brilliant day!
Thanks a million to Ligia, Sharon & Dylan for all your invaluable help xx