Orange and cardamom is such a fantastic combination and we use it a lot in cakes, but these two flavours can also be found in savoury dishes from places like Morocco and India.
Fresh from the garden: oranges, eggs
Recipe source: adapted from Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Cooking for Kids
Makes: 12 large or 24 small cupcakes
Cream cheese icing
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Drop one of the paper cases into each hole of the cupcake tin.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and drop into the food processor. Add the sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- While this is being done grate the zest from the oranges and place in a medium bowl.
- Juice the oranges and add to the zest.
- Crack eggs into the orange mixture and lightly whisk to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl sift the flour and ground cardamom together.
- Add the egg and orange mixture and the sifted flour alternately to the butter mixture. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake tins until about 2/3 full and bake for about 15 minutes until cooked. Check by piercing one cake with a skewer & if clean, they’re ready! Carefully remove them from the oven and cool on the wire rack.
- While the cake is cooking make the icing: Wash & dry the bowl & blade of the food processor.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and then mix all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Once cakes are cool use the spatula to spread a little icing on each cake, and then arrange on serving plates. Eat!
Notes: What other spice and fruit combinations can you think of?