This dish makes for a great little lunch! Feel free to shave a little parmesan over too if you want…
From the garden: broad beans, onions, spring onions, parsley, lemon, garlic, sweetcorn
Recipe source: Melissa
Serves: 6 at home or 24 tastes
What to do:
- Peel the husks from the corn, then slice the corn from the cob. Peel and crush 2 cloves of the garlic with the garlic press. Add the corn and garlic to the heavy based saucepan with 500ml water and bring to the boil over a moderate flame.
- Measure the polenta & then rain it in to the corn water, stirring. Cover & reduce to a mere simmer 15 mins, stirring every few minutes.
- Meanwhile fill the small saucepan with water & set to boil on high heat.
- Pod the broad beans, discarding the outer shell into the compost, and add beans to the boiling water. Fill a large bowl with cold water and have ready.
- Boil the broad beans for 3 minutes, drain and then immediately refresh in the bowl of cold water for 30 seconds. Drain again and double-pod by slipping the outer shell off into the compost. Reserve beans.
- Place the bouillon in to the measuring jug and carefully add 300ml boiling water, stir.
- Peel the brown onion and finely chop. Wash the spring onions and chop into 1cm lengths. Peel the remaining 4 cloves of garlic and finely slice. Wash and spin the parsley dry, pick and chop. Zest the lemon and then cut in half and squeeze one half.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the frying pan and begin to cook the chopped brown onion for 3-4 minutes over a medium to high heat until lightly golden, then add the garlic and cook gently for a further minute.
- Now add the podded broad beans, the chopped spring onion and the hot stock and place a lid on the pan. Turn the heat down and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Take the lid off and increase the heat to medium. Continue to simmer till the liquid has reduced and become slightly syrupy – about 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the parsley and lemon zest, add lemon juice to taste, and stir to incorporate.
- When the polenta is ready, remove the lid and season well. Spoon onto serving bowls, and then add the broad beans with the juices poured over.