There is a lot going on in this salad but it’s definitely worth the extra effort!
Fresh from the garden: Lettuce, kale, rocket, mushrooms, edible flowers, garlic, lemon, parsley, marjoram, thyme, coriander, oregano
Recipe source: Melissa
Serves: 6 or 24 tastes
Herby vinaigrette dressing
What to do:
For the chickpeas:
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line the baking tray with baking paper.
- Drain and rinse the tin of chickpeas and place in the large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt, olive oil and spices, toss to coat and then place chickpeas on prepared tray.
- Roast the chickpeas for 30 minutes until golden and crispy. Cool chickpeas on baking tray.
For the salad:
- Strip the kale from the stalks, then fill up the 2 big bowls with cold water & wash the kale leaves, the separated lettuce leaves and rocket separately in several changes of water, making sure that no dirt remains. Spin the leaves dry and then wipe the bowls dry.
- Tear the salad leaves into mouth-sized pieces and slice the kale and rocket into very thin strips. Keep all the leaves ready to go in a big bowl.
- Wash and carefully dry the flowers and keep reserved. Wash and spin dry the herbs, and pick off the leaves.
- Wipe the mushrooms free from dirt using a piece of paper towel and then thinly slice. Place in a big bowl, drizzle over a tablespoon of olive oil with a pinch of flaked salt and toss.
To make the dressing:
- Peel the garlic clove andput it in the mortar with a large pinch of salt.Pound to a paste.
- Juice the lemon and add the juice to the mortar (without the pips) then stir the lot with the teaspoon and scrape it into the medium bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil and grindsome pepper, then whisk the dressing lightly. Add the herbs, chopping any large leaves in the mezzaluna if needed. Add to the dressing in the medium bowl.
- Whisk the dressing and then add to the bowl of salad leaves, kale and rocket. Add the mushrooms and gently turn in the dressing using your hands or tongs.
- Transfer the dressed salad to the serving bowls, crumble over the goats’ cheese and then scatter over the chickpeas. Finish by carefully placing the flowers on each bowl.
- Serve straight away!
Notes: What is the right way to wash the leaves?Why do we completely dry the leaves before adding the dressing? What do the roasted chickpeas taste like?