These are an easy and delicious accompaniment to any soup or salad, adding a fantastic & garlicky crunch.
Recipe source: Stephanie Alexander: Kitchen Garden Cooking with Kids
What to do:
- Butter the slices of bread on both sides.
- Place the frying pan over a medium to high heat and fry the bread slices until golden on the undersides (about 3 minutes). You may need to do this in several batches.
- Flip the bread with an egg lifter and brown the other side.
- Transfer the bread to the chopping board.
- Slice the garlic cloves in half and rub each half on one side of the fried bread slices. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Stack the slices together, and using the serrated knife, carefully cut the bread into 1cm cubes & transfer to the bowl.
- Sprinkle on your dish!
Notes: Where does the word ‘crouton’ come from? Would different sorts of bread be good to use?