The classics keep coming back, and for good reason! Here’s an old-fashioned brekky/ brunch staple that is versatile, quick, easy and delish… You can add ham or even smoked salmon if you like!
Fresh from the garden: spinach, shallots, spring onions, eggs, chives
Recipe source: inspired by a recipe in the Yvette Van Boven book Home Made
Serves: 8 or 24 tastes
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Check there is a shelf in the middle of the oven. Fill the kettle and set to boil.
- Wash the spinach or silverbeet leaves thoroughly and shake dry. Slice off the discard any thick stalks and slice the leaves into thin ribbons.
- Peel and finely chop the shallots and wash, trim and slice the spring onions into tiny rings.
- Heat 25g of the butter in the frying pan and add the chopped shallot and spring onions. Fry gently until soft, stirring, and then add the spinach, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and about half a nutmeg grated with the microplane. Sauté until wilted for about 2 minutes, then measure the cream, add it in and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile divide the rest of the butter between the ramekins and grease each one, placing them onto the baking tray as you go. Sprinkle each with pepper and salt, then using tongs divide the spinach mixture between the ramekins, pouring in a little creamy liquid as well.
- Taking one egg at a time, break first into a small bowl and then slide one into each ramekin, taking care not to disturb the yolk. Once the tray of 8 is ready, place carefully onto the middle shelf, and with an adult’s help, pour enough hot water into the baking tray but outside the ramekins to halfway up the side of the ramekins.
- Slide carefully into the oven and bake for 10 – 12 minutes, when the whites are set but yolks are still runny.
- Place a napkin or piece of paper towel onto your serving plates, then taking care and using oven mitts, remove the tray from the oven and divide the ramekins between the plates.
- Serve immediately with crunchy toast!
Notes: What does en cocotte mean? What does Florentine refer to? What is a ramekin?