Sarit Packer and Itamar Srulovich used to be the head chefs for Yotam Ottolenghi and now own their own restaurant in London called Honey and Co. They wrote a book of their delicious recipes, and this tabule is one of their favourites. They say: This (recipe) is the closest to original tabule salad. The dominant flavours are herby and green, and the taste of the olive oil should really shine through, so use the good stuff here.
We say: Get the kids chopping their little hearts out! Smart strong chops, no fiddling around. You want the parsley cut, not tickled!
Fresh from the garden: cucumbers, spring onions, parsley, mint, lemon
Recipe source: adapted from a recipe in Honey and Co, Food From the Middle East
· 75g bulgar wheat
· 2 spring onions
· 2 Lebanese cucumbers
· 1 bunch of parsley
· 6 sprigs of mint
· 1 teaspoon cooking salt plus a pinch
· 4 tablespoons best quality olive oil
· 1 lemon
What to do:
Basic bulgar wheat:
- For every 75g of bulgar wheat you will need a pinch of cooking salt, a splash of good olive oil and 75ml of boiling water (90ml for coarse bulgar wheat).
- Place the bulgar wheat, oil and salt into a bowl and stir well til the grains are all coated in the oil. Pour over the just boiled water and quickly cling-film the bowl to seal in the steam.
- Leave for 5 minutes and then carefully uncover. Use a fork to fluff the bulgar wheat up and break the mass into individual grains (or rub it between your palms to break it up). Allow to cool uncovered and then it is ready to use. It will keep like this for 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
To prepare the salad:
- Wash the spring onions and then peeling the first layer off, trim off the roots and discard. Finely chop.
- Wash the cucumber and then finely dice it.
- Wash the parsley and spin it dry, and finely chop the leaves and soft stalks.
- Wash the mint, spin it dry and pick off the leaves and finely chop them. You should have about 3 tablespoons’ worth.
- Cut the lemon in half and juice one half.
To finish the salad:
- Mix everything together as close to eating as possible for the best flavour and to stop it going soggy.
- They say: I recommend that you just add the juice of half the lemon to begin with and taste to see what you think. We love this sharp and would always add more lemon, but you may find that this is enough for you.
Notes: What is bulgar wheat? How many other ways can you spell tabule?