We often make our own pasta here at school, but sometimes it’s easier to buy ready-made dried pasta – especially when you can stuff the round tubes with yummy fillings!
Fresh from the garden: spinach, basil, garlic
Recipe source: Melissa
Serves: 4 or 24 tastes
· Large mixing bowl
· Chopping boards & knives
· Grater & microplane grater
· Large frying pan
· Slotted spoon
· Measures: tablespoon
· 4 small baking dishes
· 2 baking trays
· Serving plates
· Paper towel
· 1 bunch spinach
· 3 cloves garlic
· 1 nutmeg
· 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra
· 20g butter
· 25g parmesan or grana padano
· 200g mozzarella
· 700ml tomato sauce or passata
· Flaked salt and pepper
· 16 cannelloni tubes
What to do:
- Please start all the initial elements ASAP as the dish will need to bake for 35 minutes!
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Wash the spinach in a large bowl of water, changing several times and checking to make sure all leaves and stems are clean. Shake dry over the sink and then finely chop.
- Peel the garlic and finely chop. Using the microplane, grate about half the nutmeg.
- In a large frying pan heat oil and butter, add garlic and fry gently for one minute then add grated nutmeg, spinach and a pinch or two of salt and cook for a few minutes. Use the slotted spoon to scoop into a clean bowl and leave to cool.
- Using the scales, weigh the parmesan and then grate it. Then weigh the ricotta.
- Once spinach is cool add ricotta, parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Using teaspoons or the end of a table knife, fill the cannelloni tubes with the spinach and ricotta mixture.
- Weigh the mozzarella and grate it on the widest setting.
- Spoon half of the tomato sauce into the baking dishes, then lay four filled cannelloni in each, then spoon over the rest of the tomato sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle over the parmesan and mozzarella.
- Lay the dishes on to baking trays, then bake for about 35 minutes or until bubbling.
- Line your serving plates with a piece of folded paper towel.
- Carefully remove from the oven with oven gloves, place each on its own lined plate. You may want to slice each cannelloni tube in two to serve.
Notes: What other baked pasta dishes do you know?