The key to successful fried rice is to cook the rice the night before, cool, cover and store in the fridge – that way the grains have time to cool and separate. At home feel free to add in some cooked chicken or prawns.
Fresh from the garden: eggs, spring onions, garlic, ginger
Recipe source: Melissa
Serves: 6 or 24 tastes
· Chopping boards and knives
· 3 cups long grain rice
· 1 litre boiling water
· 1 teaspoon of cooking salt
· 2 garlic cloves
· 2 tablespoons sesame oil
· 1 thumb ginger
· 2 eggs
· 3 spring onions
· 4-6 tablespoons soy sauce
· Small handful coriander
What to do:
To cook the rice:
- Fill the kettle to the 1 litre mark and set to boil.
- Measure the rice grains into the saucepan. Wash the rice with cold running water and swish with your hands. Drain carefully into a sieve and repeat 3 more times until the water is no longer milky. This helps remove excess starch and cleans the grains.
- Empty the washed rice back into the pot and carefully pour in the litre of boiling water. Turn the heat to high – when the water starts to bubble, add a teaspoon of salt, stir and then cover the pot and reduce heat to the lowest flame. Cook for 14 minutes without disturbing or taking the lid off.
- After the 14 minutes is up, turn off the heat without disturbing the saucepan. Leaving the lid on, just let it sit for another 5 minutes to finish the steaming process.
- When the time is up, using a knife, fluff the rice up in the saucepan, and then transfer into a bowl or tub, leave to cool for 10 minutes and then cover and put in the fridge for at least an hour to chill, preferably overnight.
To prepare the fried rice:
- Peel the garlic and finely chop. Using a peeler, peel the ginger and grate using the microplane grater.
- Wash, trim and peel the spring onion and finely chop, reserving the white parts and green parts separately.
- Wash the coriander and spin-dry, then finely chop stalks and leaves.
To cook the fried rice:
- Heat vegetable oil in a large wok on high heat.
- Add ginger, garlic and white part of spring onions and fry for a minute, stirring.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl, add sesame oil and whisk lightly with a fork.
- Add the pre-cooked rice and stir-fry until rice is hot.
- Add soy sauce and green spring onions and heat through for another minute.
- Spoon out into serving bowls, then garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
Notes: Where does rice come from? How is it grown? What other dishes can you make with rice?