Jamie says, “These biscuits are dead easy to make and perfect for a simple gift. If you fancy jazzing them up for Christmas, try using an orange in place of the lemons and add a pinch of cinnamon to your demerara – lovely and festive!”
Fresh from the garden: lemons, egg
Recipe source: Jamie Oliver on www.jameoliver.com
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Measure out the butter and sugar in to the bowl of the stand mixer and then beat until creamy.
- Beat in the egg until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile zest the lemons with the microplane.
- Add the flour, lemon zest, baking powder and salt to the butter mixture and mix until you have a ball of dough. Cover and place in the fridge for about 30 mins (or at home for 2 hours until firm).
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until ½cm thick. Line your trays with baking paper. Cut out shapes and place on the trays. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the edges are light brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Divide among serving plates & eat!
Notes: Why do we let dough rest? What happens if we don’t? What is zest? What does demerara look like?