Why did the mushroom go to the party? ‘Cos he was a fun-gi to be with… boom tish! And this one has some peppery rocket sprinkled over, yum yum…
Fresh from the garden: mushrooms, rocket, onion, garlic, marjoram
Recipe source: Melissa
Serves: 8 at home or 24 tastes
For the pizza topping:
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
For the tomato sauce:
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic, reserving half of the garlic for the topping.
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan & gently cook the onion and garlic until translucent but not brown.
- Open the tin of tomato and add to the frying pan with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper.
- Wash, dry and pick the herbs. Roughly chop then add to the tomatoes.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until quite reduced.
For the topping:
- Wipe the mushrooms free of dirt using a piece of paper towel and finely slice. Drop them in to a big bowl, drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of olive oil and toss to combine.
- Open the tub of bocconcini and cut each ball into 3 or 4 slices.
- Wash and spin the rocket dry and then reserve in another large bowl.
- Grate the parmesan and add it to the rocket with a tablespoon or two of olive oil and a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. Gently toss to combine.
Assembling the pizza:
- Scatter some flour on the workbench, divide the dough in two and roll to form two thin shapes about 26 cm in diameter.
- Assemble the pizzas directly onto the trays, flouring the trays first.
- Usingthe metal spoon, swirl a couple of spoonfuls of tomato sauce onto the pizza bases, spreading so that they become totally covered with a clean border.
- Layer the bocconcini on top, spoon on the garlicky mushrooms, then slide the pizzas into the oven.
- Wash and dry the wooden chopping boards and set them out ready.
Baking the pizza:
- Bake the pizzas for 12 minutes or until the edges are very crusty and the cheese is bubbling.
- Use this time to make the dough for the next class if needed.
- You may want to slip the pizza off the tray onto the rack for the last few minutes, so that you get a really crusty base.
- Once the pizzas are done, transfer them to the wooden boards using the wide egg lifter.
- Cut the pizzas in half first, and then each half into squares for each plate.
- Lift onto serving plates and sprinkle with the rocket and parmesan.
Notes: Where does pizza come from? What other sort of vegetables could you use in a pizza? What sort of other pizza could we make? What other cheeses could we use?